Saturday, March 2, 2019

21st Century Soccer Moms

When I first had children, I was still coaching at the high school and club levels.  I had two competitive teams, which I had been very committed to.  And of course, I was dedicated to being a new mother with all of the trials and tribulations which come with that role.  At the time, myself and others were redefining the term Soccer Mom.  Instead of driving kids to and from practices and games in a mini van (which I still don't own, thank goodness), I was a former college soccer player, turned coach, turned mom - a new kind of Soccer Mom.

As I'd learn to do from my graduate school advisor, I started to "write what you know."  So, I did just that.  I published an article in the National Soccer Coaches Association of America's Soccer Journal (NSCAA): The Soccer Journal: 21st Century Soccer Moms.  I did a little research and blended it with my new found role and recent (challenging) experiences.  Give it a read.

Years late, I have four boys (ages 11, 9, 7, 4).  I no longer coach at the club or high school levels.  Instead, I serve on my local soccer board and proudly coordinate youth soccer.  Wow, has my world changed! One might think I didn't need all the fancy soccer licenses or resume bullets for the preschool and kindergarten crowd, but they would be mistaken.  There's no tougher (or more important) coaching job in the business.  And I'd know.

My ever evolving life as a Soccer Mom, brings me to the purpose for this blog.  In my downtime from mother of four boys and local soccer coach, I am also a college professor.  I teach at Westfield State University in western Massachusetts.  Among my various courses, I teach Motor Development and Behavior, Exercise Science and Coaching.  And like usual for me, I've combined my worlds as best I can.  My hope for this blog is to share what I've learned about youth sports as soccer coach and professor with interested parents, coaches and professionals.

So there you have it, Soccer Coach for Soccer Moms (and dads too)...

Also expect fascinating posts from guest college student bloggers.


3 comments:

  1. I am appreciative to this blog giving one of a kind and accommodating learning about this theme, I read your blog now share extraordinary data here. This blog increse my insight source . Youth Soccer Clinics in West Orange NJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was surfing the Internet for information and came across your blog. I am impressed by the information you have on this blog. It shows how well you understand this subject. école de football

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awakened by Stephanie Spiritual Teacher and Life Coach awakenedbystephanie

    ReplyDelete

21st Century Soccer Moms

When I first had children, I was still coaching at the high school and club levels.  I had two competitive teams, which I had been very comm...